You’ll love my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe! The Instant Pot is the most efficient method to cook mashed potatoes! There is no boiling and over, no scrubbing pots and kitchens that are steamy, and no potato mash that is soggy! It’s a simple side dish that is perfect every time!
I am awestruck by the creamy and delicious mashed potatoes that came out in my instant pot. I’ve been wanting to test mashed potatoes in my instant pot for a while now. Since mashed potatoes are definitely one of the best side dishes on the earth, however, I’m not always to cook them on the weeknight when we’re busy. Today, I could make mashed potatoes within 20 minutes, and everyone loved them!
My secret for great mashed potatoes? The instant pot cooker. Today, the only cries heard about the mashed potatoes at my table is about how delicious they came out.
Why I love this Instant Pot mashed potatoes?
There are numerous! Here are some that cause me to jump up and down:
- Easy – This is the simplest and fastest method to prepare mashed potatoes and I love the fact that there is no need to wait for a large pot of water to boil.
- Delicious – This is a “cheater” method, I am an advocate of as it tastes as good as the potato mash that you make on the stove!
- Make-ahead – I like making these meals 2 hours in advance and then putting it in my Instant Pot in a warm. Add more seasonings or liquid prior to serving, if needed. It makes dinner more enjoyable during a hectic evening!
INSTANT POT MASHED POTATOES INGREDIENTS
Before we move on to the recipe in full, here are a few quick notes on the ingredients you’ll need for the Instant Pot mashed potatoes recipe:
- Potatoes: The most suitable type of potato to make instant pot mashed potatoes are starchy potatoes, like Russet potatoes. Russet potatoes produce fluffy and light potato mash. Yukon gold potatoes also are great and you can leave peels on to add more texture to your mashed potatoes.
But, i prefer to make a 50/50 mix with Yukon Gold and Russet potatoes for mashed potatoes to have the perfect mix of creamy and buttery, sweet and starchy flavours and textures. However, feel free to use any kind of potato you like.
- Water: Water is needed for cooking the potatoes and in order to let the Instant Pot to be pressurized. You need enough water to completely cover the potatoes in the pot.
- Butter: also an absolute must. You are welcome to add more if you want your potatoes to be more buttery.
- Sea salt and black pepper: Since tastes differ, I suggest seasoning the mashed potato with pepper and salt according to the desired taste.
- Milk: The milk makes potatoes be creamy. Different varieties of potatoes differ in regards to how “thirsty” they are, therefore, you can add more or less milk as you need until the potatoes are at the desired level of creaminess. I prefer whole milk as I like the richness it adds to the potatoes. It is also possible to make use of heavier cream, or even half and half to give more flavor. Warming the milk prior to mixing it in will allow it to absorb better into the potatoes. It will also ensure that the potatoes remain hot.
- Toppings: If there is a desire sprinkle fresh herbs on your potatoes to serve as a garnish (or mix them into) You can’t be wrong with chopped fresh chives (or green onions) or fresh parsley.
instant pot mashed potatoes
3 pounds Russet potatoes
4-5 cups water
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into 3 pieces)
½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
pepper (to taste)
½ cup warm milk
LET'S START - Prepare the potatoes
NEXT STEP - Pressure Cook
AND NOW! - Mash Potatoes
THEN - Add Remaining Ingredients
FINAL - Serve
- Make ahead. If you'd like to cook these potatoes ahead of time, you can store them in your Instant Pot in the "keep warm" setting for up to two hours.
- Make them vegan: For vegan mashed potatoes, add in vegan butter, pure plant-based milk (such as Oat milk) as well as dairy products that are vegan (or you can leave out the cream cheese completely).
- Season and taste. You need to test the taste of your potatoes to ensure you've got the right seasonings. Salt, butter and pepper are the most basic ingredients. You can also spice the potatoes using chives roasting garlic or cream cheese.