This Instant Pot Mongolian Chicken Recipe is a great alternative to the traditional Asian dishes such as Instant Pot Orange Chicken, and it is so easy to prepare and delicious!
Instant pot Mongolian chicken recipe is one of the recipes that takes only five minutes to throw into your Instant Pot and just 30 minutes to cook a tasty, tender and juicy Mongolian chicken!
Table of Contents
Instant Pot Mongolian Chicken Recipe:
I love making this Instant Pot Mongolian chicken recipe when I crave Chinese dishes and don’t want to go to the restaurant or to order takeout. The taste of this meal is delicious, but if you put it in the instant pot, it comes to the table in less than 30 minutes. I love to make this; it is one of my favorites to take as a dish and the flavors of the meal are delicious.
Always wonder how to get the awesome Mongolian sauce like they do in your favorite restaurant? It’s extremely simple to do and then perfect for a fast home meal like the Instant Pot Mongolian Chicken!
And while most of us love getting out for the delicious Chinese food meal, it’s not usually efficient or the healthiest choice. But giving dishes like the Mongolian chicken at home can help you save money and keep the ingredients for the meal you feel better about serving to the home.
Why instant pot Mongolian chicken?
- It is easy to make and it takes only around 30 minutes!
- One-pot recipe; less dishes to clean.
- Packed with amazing flavors and benefits.
- Delicious leftovers that can be stored in the fridge.
What are Mongolian sauce ingredients?
The secret of this Asian dish is definitely the Mongolian sauce which is a combination of specific ingredients.
How to make instant pot Mongolian chicken?
This delicious Instant Pot Mongolian Chicken is the perfect tasty and quick Asian meal to make in your Instant Pot and that takes about 30 minutes. The general step by step directions are as follows:
Step 1: Cut the chicken into thin slices as bite-sized. Set your instant pot to the “sauté” function, add olive oil, add the chicken slices and cook for about 4 minutes until browned.
Step 2: Deglaze: Ensure to scrape up the bits stuck to the bottom of the pot by adding 1/4 cup water and scrape them using a wooden spoon.
Step 3: Add the brown sugar, minced garlic, fresh ginger, soy sauce, chicken broth (or water), carrots, red pepper flakes and the garlic powder. Stir to combine and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
Step 4: In a small bowl prepare the cornstarch by whisking it together with 1/4 cup water. Add the mixture to the pot, stir, select “sauté” function and cook on low for more few minutes until thickened.
How to avoid the “burn notice”?
To avoid the burn notice, we highly recommend to ensure that there are no bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. So, you need to deglaze it with some Liquide as the water or broth and scrape up with a wooden spoon.
What to serve with Mongolian chicken?
We love serving it over White or Brown Rice but you can also try it over noodles as well or even with vegetables such as broccoli. This recipe is one that I’ve made repeatedly, it’s a saver of time during crazy weeknights, and the next day I’m still excited to have the leftovers.
Instant pot Mongolian chicken Tips:
- Use fresh ingredients to add amazing flavor and taste to the sauce.
- You can adapt this recipe for your paleo diet by substituting the soy sauce with coconut aminos and use tapioca instead of cornstarch.
- You can adjust the sweetness of the sauce by adding sugar as the restaurant-style Mongolian chicken that requires lots of sugar.
- Using the carrots in this recipe is optional. So, the dish can be prepared without them as your desire.
About Mongolian Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into one-two inch cubes).
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (or extra virgin olive oil).
- 3/4 cup brown sugar ((use less if you want)).
- 4 garlic cloves (minced).
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (minced).
- 3/4 cup lite soy sauce* ((use 1/2 cup if you are sensitive to sodium)).
- 3/4 cup water or chicken broth.
- 1 cup carrots (chopped*).
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes*
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder .
- 3 green onions, chopped (optional).
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (optional).
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Nutrition Fact of Mongolian Chicken
Amount per 1 Serving
Total Fat: 6.7 g
Cholesterol: 73.1 mg
Sodium: 1871.7 mg
Potassium: 391.8 mg
Carbohydrate: 39.4 g
Protein: 28.8 g
Step by Step Instructions
Set the instant pot to “sauté” function, add the olive oil, add the chicken and cook for 4 minutes until browned.
Stir constantly to avoid the stuck of chicken bits in the bottom of the pan. Deglaze the pot by adding the water or chicken broth. Using a wooden spoon to scrape up the bits stuck.
Add all the rest of the ingredients to the pot, stir well until all ingredients are combined. Secure the lid.
Cook for 6 minutes on high pressure.
When the cooking time is up, allow the natural release of pressure for 10 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and pour into the inner pot.
Set the instant pot again to the “sauté” function and cook for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.